Anna Dress

The Story:

I remember seeing By Hand London’s beautiful Anna Dress when the pattern was released years ago: a long, flattering maxi dress with a daring thigh-high split. It looked superb on everyone I saw wearing it, but I convinced myself it wouldn’t look anything like that on me. Fast-forward four years: after seeing many beautiful versions of the Anna Dress, I finally made one for myself. In short, it’s brought me outside my wardrobe comfort zone, and I love it. I should’ve made one sooner!

The Pattern:

There are many Anna Dress pattern reviews out there, so I will keep mine short. The instructions were easy to follow and the dress was quick to make. What took the most time (aside from assembling the pdf pattern) was to hand stitch the split and bottom hem of the skirt. It took some patience but it was definetly worth it! I also love the kimono sleeves and the elegant silhouette created by the pleats of the front bodice.

Apart from removing some length from the skirt (I’m 5’2!), my only alteration was fixing the gaping neckline. I pinched the paper pattern to remove 1/2 inch at the front and 1/2 inch at the back of the neckline and that was it.

The Fabric:

I immediately fell for this amazing lightweight cotton upon finding it at local Madison store Gayfeather Fabrics. It struck me as the perfect “summer to fall” floral, and one that presented numerous pattern-matching options.

And now, some pictures:

anna-dress-04-webanna-dress-05-webanna-dress-06-webanna-dress-11-webanna-dress-18-webanna-dress-19-webanna-dress-17-webanna-dress-10-webanna-dress-14-webanna-dress-12-webanna-dress-08-webanna-dress-16-webanna-dress-15-web2

Thanks for looking!

By | 2017-10-07T10:51:30+00:00 September 7th, 2017|Uncategorized|16 Comments

1. emmaandhermachine September 7, 2017 at 13:29 - Reply

I saw this on instagram. I think you have the fabric spot on for this make. It really suits you and it’s so elegant. ☺

• zoubi zoubisou September 11, 2017 at 08:55 - Reply

Thank you very much, Emma!! That fabric was a lot of fun to work with 🙂

2. Mary K September 7, 2017 at 18:59 - Reply

Love, love, love this print and the way you used the Anna dress silhouette to best advantage! I’ve been sitting on my own Anna dress because I’m concerned the back will be too broad…

• zoubi zoubisou September 11, 2017 at 09:36 - Reply

Hi Mary, Thank you very much your comment! I can totally relate to you, I also had some hesitations before sewing my Anna dress. I’m so happy that I gave it a try as I love the result 🙂

3. marcy harriell | oonaballoona September 7, 2017 at 19:56 - Reply

OH. That is absolutely divine! Brilliantly done!

• zoubi zoubisou September 11, 2017 at 09:54 - Reply

Thank you so much Marcy! I’m a huge fan of your many gorgeous Anna dresses!

4. MAY ROSE SEWING September 7, 2017 at 21:29 - Reply

Gorgeous

5. upsew September 8, 2017 at 03:09 - Reply

this is stunning, the perfect match of fabric and pattern, I would have shied away from fabric like this but wow – its fantastic – and it looks great on you!

• zoubi zoubisou September 11, 2017 at 10:03 - Reply

Thank you very much Eimear! 💕 I really enjoyed playing with the placement of that print 🙂

6. Fabric Tragic September 8, 2017 at 06:26 - Reply

Oh yes, it’s extremely beautiful on you! And I adore the red zip!

7. sewbussted September 8, 2017 at 14:04 - Reply

So pretty, and the fabric is absolutely amazing!

8. […] this ensemble using elements of the Anna Dress pattern from By Hand London. Because I had sewn the Anna Dress in the maxi version just a few weeks ago, I felt comfortable with the pattern and went straight to […]

9. […] is the second By Hand London pattern that I’ve sewn for myself, the other being my Anna dress. I am so impressed with how well both patterns fit. Apart from shortening the trousers, I […]