Little Black Dress In Lace

Happy New Year! May your 2018 be filled with love and stitches!

Matthew and I spent New Year’s in Akron, Ohio with his family and then stopped in Chicago for a few days on our way back to Madison. We had a great time but I’m excited to be back home and working towards my 2018 sewing goals! First things first, I can finally take pictures of this self-drafted little black dress, my final sewing project of 2017.

I had a lot of fun creating this dress. It was my first time sewing with lace and it wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be! It took me a while to place the lace pattern where I wanted it to be but once that was done and I was happy with the achieved symmetry, everything fell into place. My scallop cutting for the open back is not super precise but I love its rough trim look. The lace has quite a bit of stretch which is great for my design as I wanted a fitted look for the bodice and long sleeves.

I also wanted the lace to show on the skin, to feel sexy and well covered at the same time. So my lining of the front bodice starts at the upper bust and the lining of the skirt finishes above the knee.

Here are some pictures:

Thanks for looking!

-Emmanuelle

Advertisements
By | 2018-01-05T18:06:30+00:00 January 5th, 2018|Uncategorized|6 Comments

1. seamsalright Joyce January 5, 2018 at 18:13 - Reply

Lovely! Well done. You rocked a modern lace look, I’m impressed? Excellent, as always.

• zoubi zoubisou January 18, 2018 at 16:55 - Reply

Thank you so much Joyce! I really appreciate the compliment! 😊💕

2. Diane G @dreamcutsew January 7, 2018 at 05:07 - Reply

Gosh what a beautiful dress! Love how you placed and cut the lace and the fit is sublime.

• zoubi zoubisou January 18, 2018 at 16:40 - Reply

Thank you very much Diane! 💕That’s very nice of you to say. I tend to rush into cutting the fabric (to start sewing as quickly as possible 😁) but this time, I’m so glad that I took my time to place the lace! All worth it!

3. Berenice Combé January 12, 2018 at 15:07 - Reply

As I told you on Instagram… it is a beautiful dress! I looks nice on you, that it is the first purpose but, also, I think it is really well made. Congrats! I like the back! Probably you are the only one in this world seeing that “not so precise cut” because it looks awesome.

• zoubi zoubisou January 18, 2018 at 16:21 - Reply

That’s so sweet! Thank you very much Berenice! You’re probably right about the “not so precise cut” 😉 I tend to focus way too much on the things which didn’t turn out the way I wanted! It’s hard not to be our own worst critics!