Sheath Dress with Mandarin Collar

I’ve been crazy for sheath dresses lately. A classic sheath is both flattering and versatile, working as well in the office as it does in the evenings. I’ve been working on my sheath dress skills over the past few weeks and here is my most recent creation, completed just a few days ago!

The dress features cap sleeves, an invisible zipper at the back and a Mandarin collar which I really like. It’s my first time inserting this type of collar. I might make it a bit tighter next time, but overall I’m happy with it.

The material I used is a 1960s bed linen. I love repurposing vintage bed sheets. This one is soft and comfortable, and the slightly faded blue roses make for a very pretty pattern. However, its long life as a bed linen had thinned the fabric in some sections; care was needed to avoid ripping it!

sheath-mandarin04sheath-mandarin05sheath-mandarin03

Thanks for looking!

By | 2017-02-05T16:55:28+00:00 August 22nd, 2016|Uncategorized|9 Comments

1. Cate August 24, 2016 at 02:52 - Reply

I love, love, love this dress! I’m a huge fan of anything oriental and this is a fantastic mixture of a Chinese qípáo type dress and vintage styling. The fabric is just gorgeous, perfectly sixties.
    I’m on a mission to make an authentic 1930s qípáo sometime in the future. They were much longer than yours during the 30s, almost ankle length but were all the rage amongst the young, fashion conscious Chinese ladies. xx

• zoubi zoubisou September 27, 2016 at 15:54 - Reply

Thank you very much Cate! Making an authentic 1930s qípáo sounds like a wonderful project. Will you be working with silk? After reading your comment, I did more research on the origin of the qípáo, its variation through history and the relation to women’s liberation movements. It’s fascinating!

2. Lili Lee August 26, 2016 at 22:56 - Reply

Sorry but that looks like my grandma’s dressing gown…

• zoubi zoubisou September 27, 2016 at 16:04 - Reply

Ha ha! After all, it is made out of a bed sheet 😉

3. Amanda Milstead September 17, 2016 at 20:21 - Reply

Great dress! I love repurposing vintage sheets. The patterns are great and there is a ton of fabric to use. I usually use sheets to line the bags and purses that I make, but after reading your post, I’ll have to find other uses for the vintage sheets in my stash!

• zoubi zoubisou September 27, 2016 at 16:01 - Reply

Thank you very much Amanda! Lining bags and purses with vintage sheets is such a great idea! I’ll definitely give it a try.

4. carmenross88 January 2, 2017 at 20:19 - Reply

I’ve just discovered your blog on bloglovin’ and I really admire your work! Plus, your haircut is super rad, too 🙂 This is a gorgeous dress. What a brilliant idea to scour thrift stores and vintage stores for beautiful bed linens.

• zoubi zoubisou January 4, 2017 at 15:06 - Reply

Thank you so much, Carmen! That means a lot to me 😊 I recently found some gorgeous linens, I can’t wait to use them in future projects!

5. […] day, Amandine told me she had been checking my blog and happened upon this dress. She asked if I might make a similar one for her. I was all too happy to […]