McCall’s 7241

This dress has a semi-fitted bodice with side front seams, a zipper at the back and a pleated skirt. Bowie’s “Golden Years” was stuck in my head for most of the time I worked on this dress. It could be the dress’s colour, its suitability for soul music dancing, or that, at any given time, the chances are good that a Station To Station track is stuck in my head. But I digress…

goldenyears-mccalls 7241-instagram

The fabric is from upholstery and I found it a couple months ago here in Vancouver at Our Social Fabric, a recycling initiative for all sorts of textiles. If you live in Vancouver and haven’t checked it out yet, you definitely should. It’s amazing!

The fabric itself is very thick and was quite stiff to work with, but the result is well worth it. The fabric’s weight gives the dress a high-quality feel, and its geometric design is so interesting.

Golden-Years-Mccalls 7241-03

Golden-Years-Mccalls 7241-04

The bodice is lined with a navy rayon I had in my stash.

Golden-Years-Mccalls 7241-06

I cut a size 6 and my only alteration was to remove about half an inch at the shoulder seams. Here’s a closer look at my favourite detail, the pleats:

Golden-Years-Mccalls 7241-05

Overall, I love the way the dress turned out. Wearing the dress makes me want to go dancing! “I’ll stick with you baby for a thousand years. Nothing’s gonna touch you in these golden years, gold Golden years, gold whop whop whop…”

Golden-Years-Mccalls 7241-01

Golden-Years-Mccalls 7241-02

Thanks for looking!

By | 2017-02-05T17:01:34+00:00 June 5th, 2016|Uncategorized|13 Comments

1. bellecitadel June 5, 2016 at 17:37 - Reply

Wow, fantastic. I can’t decide if it’s more deco, futuristic or retro. 🙂 Great fabric and I’m also partial to Golden Years. 😉 Lovely!

• zoubi zoubisou June 7, 2016 at 07:36 - Reply

Thank you so much Belle! I completely agree with you that it has some art deco feel to it. And I love the idea of retrofuturism in clothing! 🙂

2. Amanda Milstead June 6, 2016 at 07:28 - Reply

What a great dress and fabric choice! If I’m ever in Vancouver, I am definitely checking out Our Social Fabric. Thanks for posting.

• zoubi zoubisou June 7, 2016 at 07:06 - Reply

Thank you Amanda! If you’re ever in Vancouver, let me know too 😉

3. madformod June 6, 2016 at 11:24 - Reply

It’s a really lovely dress!!

4. Sue @ A Colourful Canvas June 8, 2016 at 08:53 - Reply

Lovely dress! Lovely You! I’m visiting via Rhonda’s Creative Life and wanted to say how nice it is to meet another Vancouver seamstress! I’ve only been to one Social sale and hope to get to their new location soon…perhaps even this weekend!

• zoubi zoubisou June 8, 2016 at 22:10 - Reply

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words, Sue! I’m a huge fan of your work. I will definitely be checking out the social sale this weekend. Perhaps our paths will cross! 😉

5. Sassy June 14, 2016 at 13:08 - Reply

Would you mind me sharing this on Sassy Sewing Bees in the future? I link to your post and let you know when. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

• zoubi zoubisou June 14, 2016 at 13:59 - Reply

Hi Sassy, absolutely! That would be great! Thank you for stopping by 🙂

6. matkailijakirppu July 4, 2016 at 12:38 - Reply

Super lovely fabric! Goes so well together with the vintage style and shape! 🙂

7. carmenross88 January 2, 2017 at 20:21 - Reply

Cute dress labels!

• zoubi zoubisou January 4, 2017 at 15:10 - Reply

Thanks Carmen! I ordered them on dutchlabelshop.com and I’m really happy with how they turned out!