BurdaStyle Vintage Jane

This short sleeve mini dress pattern is part of the BurdaStyle 1960s Vintage Collection. Wearing the dress is like slipping into 1960s Swinging London, somewhere and sometime I’ve always wished to visit. This might be as close as I get!

bellingham-02-1024-burdastyle-jane-dress

The beautiful floral fabric dates to the late fifties, and I found it in a Bellingham antique shop during a trip there last month. It’s lightweight with some body and was a real pleasure to work with.

I cut the dress to a size 36. I ended up removing a couple of inches on the sides and back of the bodice because my muslin garment was a bit too loose, and this was my only alteration. The skirt length isn’t that “mini” on me, but I prefer it this way.

bellingham-04-1024-burdastyle-jane-dressbellingham-09-1024-burdastyle-jane-dressbellingham-08-1024-burdastyle-jane-dress

There are some interesting details to this dress. I particularly love the centre front appliqué, and inside the dress, I used my new Brother 1034D to finish up all the seams. This machine is awesome (if a little intimidating when using it for the first time!).

I’m very happy with how the dress turned out and I plan to use this pattern to sew many more!

bellingham-06-1024-burdastyle-jane-dressbellingham-07-1024-burdastyle-jane-dressbellingham-05-1024-burdastyle-jane-dress

Thanks for looking!

By | 2017-02-05T17:08:44+00:00 May 8th, 2016|Uncategorized|9 Comments

1. Amanda Milstead May 8, 2016 at 18:44 - Reply

This fabric is fantastic. I think I have some that is similar to it that I bought in a large sack of odds and ends from a thrift store. Love your haircut, too.

• zoubi zoubisou May 9, 2016 at 15:52 - Reply

Thank you Amanda! 🙂 That’s awesome. Do you know what you’ll use the fabric for? I love looking for fabric at thrift stores. So many treasures to be found.

• Amanda Milstead May 10, 2016 at 10:41

I don’t quite know yet. I have a mildly successful Etsy shop where I sell handbags made out of vintage material and neckties that I plan to expand. My husband and I are in the second half of a year-long trip around southern Mexico and I am gathering more material while I am here. There are about 10 Rubbermaid tubs full of vintage fabric sitting in my storage unit in Michigan as well. Can’t wait to get back and start making some stuff!

2. Mick Jagger May 8, 2016 at 23:03 - Reply

Perfect for the 50th anniversary of “Paint it black”!

3. Back to Blighty May 9, 2016 at 13:43 - Reply

Amazing! Love it! 🙂

4. Sassy June 14, 2016 at 13:07 - Reply

Love this. I have this magazine edition too. Great to see this cute dress created by someone else. Would you mind me sharing this on Sassy Sewing Bees in the future? I link to your post and let you know when. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees