Vintage Vogue 8789

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I’m happy to introduce a new dress that I completed using Vintage Vogue 8789, based on the original 1957 design. The pattern instructions were easy to follow.

I went with “Version A” of the pattern, which sports a bias-cut V-neck with cut-on facings and curved shoulder seams that form slight cap sleeves. It has a full gathered skirt and a side zipper. I staggered the sizing, using a size 6 for the top half of the bodice and size 8 for the rest of the garment.

I love the way the pattern pieces are laid out. It’s perfect for a stripe design, and I used a subtle blue-on-blue striped textured cotton shirting. I really enjoyed matching the lines to create the nice sharp V. I made sure to stabilize the neckline to prevent bias-fold edges from stretching.

I finished the hem with seam binding (as recommended in the instructions) and I lined the bodice.

vogue8789-07

I love how versatile the dress is. It looks good with or without a petticoat, and when paired with either a cummerbund or a thin belt. The cummerbund nicely accentuates the cinched waist, but looking at the photos below, I think I prefer the belt.

Here are a few photos with the petticoat:

vogue8789-01

vogue8789-03

With the cummerbund:

vogue8789-06

vogue8789-05

Without the petticoat:

vogue8789-04

vogue8789-02

Thanks for looking!

By | 2016-05-10T12:25:04+00:00 April 25th, 2016|Uncategorized|10 Comments

1. Back to Blighty April 26, 2016 at 12:53 - Reply

Your dress looks amazing, both with the belt and the cumberband and I love the fabric! I have had this pattern in my stash for a while – I MUST make it! 🙂

• zoubi zoubisou April 26, 2016 at 17:50 - Reply

Thank you so much Becky! It’s a great pattern, I would definitely recommend making it 😉

2. Katy April 27, 2016 at 01:18 - Reply

This is lovely!!! Such style and grace in one dress 🙂

3. Klara April 27, 2016 at 09:38 - Reply

Wow, I’ve only just found your blog via We Sew Retro fb group and I’m so impressed! What a beautiful dress and what a gorgeous girl you are :). I started making this pattern a while ago but never finished… After seeing your version I definitely need to.

• zoubi zoubisou April 27, 2016 at 09:51 - Reply

Thank you very much, Klara! That’s so kind of you! It’s a lovely pattern, I can’t wait to see your version of it 😉

4. Amanda Milstead May 3, 2016 at 13:24 - Reply

Looks like a great dress!

5. carmenross88 January 2, 2017 at 20:24 - Reply

Oh this is gorgeous. Great job! And kudos to you for chopping off all your hair! My hair was about as long as yours a month ago and I chopped it all off for a pixie cut. It’s super fun to go short.

• zoubi zoubisou January 4, 2017 at 15:12 - Reply

Thank you!!! Short hair is so much fun 😉 It looks gorgeous on you!