Butterick 9598 Deep Collard Dress

Butterick 9598-patternChancing upon the Butterick pattern, I immediately fell in love with its bold collar, cute contrast dickey, and generally elegant late 50s/early 60s design. The simple, form-fitting lines captured in views A and B remind me of the sophisticated* 1950s fashions captured by photographer John French, fashions donned by Dovima, Ann Gunning and Fiona Campbell-Walter. *Gloves required, of course.
I am very new to sewing (I’ve started six month ago). My experience ran no further than cotton quilting, but for this project, I wanted to sew a nice winter dress suitable for the office. This required me to look outside of cotton, and I directed my gaze upon something far more luxurious: dark, thick, navy wool flannel blend. The fabric proved a real charm! I enjoyed working with it so much, part of me was sad to actually finish the dress! But the other part was happy, because the whole thing took quite a long time 😉
The only thing that really tested my patience was the darn zipper. It still doesn’t work properly sometimes, and I haven’t a clue why. As for the sewing itself, I decided to remove a couple inches from the length and sides of the bodice, but now I think I may have gone too far in timing down the sides… Breathing has become rather laborious! Oh well, next time I’ll know not to get too crazy with such things (so long as I don’t suffocate before then!). I had to move the darts a bit and shorten the length of the skirt. This dress also saw my first attempt at piping. It turned out pretty well for my first time, and I think it nicely accentuates the nautical feel of the dress.
So there you have it! Thanks for reading and hip-hip-hooray to the first of many Zoubi Zoubisou posts!

Butterick 9598-04 copy

Butterick 9598-05 copyButterick 9598-03 copyButterick 9598-01 Butterick 9598-02 copy

By | 2015-03-16T09:23:46+00:00 March 16th, 2015|Uncategorized|8 Comments

1. Hila March 16, 2015 at 21:17 - Reply

Wow! What a stunning dress! Well done! That collar with the piping is divine👏👏

• zoubi zoubisou March 17, 2015 at 07:05 - Reply

Thank you so much for the kind words, Hila! Very encouraging! 🙂

2. springystitches April 8, 2015 at 14:19 - Reply

Beautiful – great work! 🙂

3. […] For the jacket, I used Butterick 9703 for the pattern and some navy wool flannel blend which I had left over from this old project. […]

4. Jewels July 7, 2017 at 13:03 - Reply

Hello! Your dress turned out so lovely (: You inspired me to find and purchase the same pattern to try for myself. However, mine is missing the instructions! Do you think it will be difficult/impossible to make without them? Is there any way that you can help? Thank you for sharing your post, and I appreciate any insight that you can provide. I’m also enjoying reading through the rest of your sewing adventures!

• zoubi zoubisou July 9, 2017 at 07:58 - Reply

Hello! Thank you so much for your comment 🙂 This is such a great pattern and I’d love to help you with the instructions! I’m in the process of the moving right now so all my patterns are unfortunately packed. But perhaps I can email the instructions to you early August after I have unpacked all my stuff? Hope this is not too late for you. Feel free to send me your email address via private message on Instagram /zoubizoubisou 🙂

• Jewels July 9, 2017 at 12:27